Civil Human Rights Front’s Response to Police’ Statement
The Police issued a statement at noon today to condemn the demonstrators who besieged the Police Headquarters yesterday. The Police claimed that 9 women and 4 men were unwell and medical treatment was delayed due to the road congestion caused by the demonstrators. However, according to the Legislative Council member Fernando Cheung Chiu-hung, no one prevented the paramedics from doing their duties. Instead, it was the Police who locked the gate by themselves and said that they could not find the key, resulting in a delay of at least 30 minutes. Although barriers were placed on pathways, the demonstrators have suggested that the paramedics can enter the building through the main entrance and have given way to the ambulance to enter the building. Finally, the Police found the key, but they did not let the paramedics enter the building at once, instead, riot policemen armed with long shields were asked to stand on guard. The entire process lasted at least 30 minutes.
Legislative Council members Fernando Cheung Chiu-hung and Kwok Ka-ki tried to help the paramedics on their way to the entrance. Kwok Ka-ki, as a doctor, expressed his willingness to enter the building to diagnose the patients in question, but was rejected by the Police.
The Civil Human Rights Front expresses anger at the lies the Police blatantly told and the false accusations against the demonstrators, with an intention to cover up the truth. The Civil Human Rights Front hopes the Police will understand that the reason why Hong Kong people was demonstrating outside the Police Headquarters, was due to the excessive use of force by the Police agains the demonstrators on 9th and 12th June respectively. These include, for instance, shooting the head of the protestors with rubber bullets, attacking first-aid stations with tear gas and also the surrounding area of Citic Tower, the recognised demonstration area, which could have caused serious injuries by the stampede and falls when the protestors fled into Citic Tower. The Police has not made any formal apology so far for its complete disregard for human lives. On the other hand, the Police repeatedly spreads rumours and slanders, maliciously smearing the peaceful protestors. The Civil Human Rights Front must therefore clarify these false accusations. We hereby reiterate our demands: drop charges against arrested protestors, retraction of characterisation as “riot”; and to establish an independent commission of inquiry to investigate the Police abuse of power.
Police Power Monitoring Group
June 22, 2019